Monday, November 22, 2004

Motherhood is Fun

 
Parents were invented to make children happy by giving them something to ignore.
Ogden Nash
US humorist & poet (1902 - 1971)
The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents, and the second half by our children.
Clarence Darrow
US defense lawyer (1857 - 1938)
Sooner or later we all quote our mothers.
          Bern Williams
 
My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.
Mark Twain
US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)
 

These are wonderful and funny quotes about being a parent that I gleaned from the Internet. Quotes like these make my day.

I particularly like the last two because I now only not look like my mother, I sound like her too.  I also was a handful when I was young. I think my mother enjoyed my indiscretion more than I did, and still does.

I never thought I will ever quote my mother but I often do. At my age, I consider my mother a prophet and a sage.  That is in contrast, extreme contrast in all actuality, with my frame of mind before I had my own children. How edifying motherhood is!  To quote my mother: "You will not know how I feel until you have your own children."  She was right. I did not emphatize with her then because I did not know how a mother feels. I used to say something sassy or roll my eyes when my mother says something profound.  I wish I had a tape recorder then so I could replay them now because I am sure that I will be in awe about their prophetic wisdom.  Thank God to repetition, I commited some to memory. Now, my children are the beneficiaries of this inheritedwisdom.  Of course, right now they think it is just psycho-babble from an overprotective mother but soon they will find grains of truth in them. 

I desperately wanted to forget a lot of things I did when I was young. Though my mother has a list of them that she can produce at the speed of  light. I suspect that she is keeping this list to send to my children in case of her untimely demise from my smart mouth. I think she enjoyed my childhood troubles a little more than I want her to. This enjoyment causes her to recall my transgressions a bit too vivid and too often, much to my chagrin.

 

 

No comments: