Monday, November 15, 2004

Bad Habits Can Be Good

How people keep correcting us when we are young! There is always some bad habit or other they tell us we ought to get over. Yet most bad habits are tools to help us through life.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

How true! As a mother, I find myself correcting my children's behavior most of the time. I do not want them to form bad habits but the usefulness of some can not be denied. Case in point is my daughter has a bad habit of mouthing off. This very same bad habit causes me admire her- her candidness and I-am-not taking crap-from-anybody stance makes me guilty and proud at the same time. Why? Because I know she has a backbone for one. Another is, I somehow know she will grow up to be an assertive young woman and will not need a knight in a shining armor to protect her. She is capable of taking care of  her own needs and will not be parasite to anyone. Like most mothers, I want my daughter to be independent, someone who is self-sufficient and proud of it.    

No comments: