Thursday, November 18, 2004

Humor: The Best Medicine

Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth.
Erma Bombeck (1927 - 1996)

I love Erma Bombeck. I read all of the books she wrote. She made motherhood less stressful and funny. She is the queen of sarcasm. I like to laugh out loud. I like people who see the funny side of life. If you really think about it , most of the things that happen in your daily life are humorous. Why cry when you can laugh? Granted, there are some things that are not funny no matter how you look at them such as losing a loved one, most events are hilarious especially if you have an overactive imagination.

My husband was shy when I met him. He said I made him come out of his shell and helped him bring out  his silly self. He said I was a wiseass and it was catching. My children always thought I am the serious one and Dad is the funny one. It used to be the other way around. I would always crack jokes to make him smile because he used to be real quiet and sort of sad. (His parents got divorced and he was away from home).  Our courtship was based on humor. We always had a goodtime together because we can make each other laugh.  There were times when someone would say something and all we had to do was look at each other and we were rolling on the floor laughing the next minute. I guess I lost my sense of humor right after I had my daughter . I thought that being silly and witty was immature and I needed to start acting like an adult by being prim and proper because I have a child to raise. My husband used to say, "Where did you hide the funny woman I married?"  

The funny woman is back. I am my old self again. My daughter think I lost my mind because I used to get angry about things she says but now, I just laugh out loud. Am I doing it to annoy her? No, I genuinely see humorin our interactions. Thethings we used to fight about are so insignificant and mundane. Besides, when you have a choice between anger and laughter,  I think you are a fool if you choose the former.

I want to work on being a humorist. I want to follow Erma Bombeck's footstep and make light of things that are challenging, like raising teenagers. It seems like a lot of the books that are geared towards helping parents raise their children are written in the dry, ivory tower tone. Maybe I'll start by writing humorous short stories, essays, or poems. Writing a book right now is just way too ambitious for me as I am always wishing for more time in a day already.

 

No comments: