Sunday, June 25, 2006

Mon Jardin Merveilleux

              

These are the flowers of the Plumeria I recieved as a Christmas gift about five years ago. I lived in Hawaii for a few years and Plumeria flowers give me flashbacks of the idyllic island life I used to lead.

I recently went to New Orleans and found a vendor selling some cuttings. I bought four cuttings marked red, pink, white and pure yellow (flowers). I've spotted leaves sprouting on the cuttings but I know it will take at least a couple of years for them to flower.

I also have a pineapple plant with a fruit and lots of little plants I took as suckers from the mature ones. I'll post a pic of it in my next entry since my journal will not let me load multiple pics right now. If  you want some pineapple plants and you're not afraid to e-mail me your address, I'll send you some through the mail. It takes about two to three years before they bear fruit and the fruit takes about a year and a half to grow to full size and ripen. These plants require a lot of patience. LOL.

I have a cutting garden of flowers where I planted sunflowers, zinnias, gardenias, black eyes susans, pink/white coneflowers and shasta daisies. I am enjoying the fruits of my labor right now. I have vases around my house full of flowers from my garden.

Hmm... Do I need to mention that I have beans, tomatoes, okras, zucchinis, peppers and eggplants coming out of my ears?

I always enjoyed gardening. It is a form of meditation for me. There is something calming and uplifting about tilling the land and caring for plants.

 

     

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Plumeria!  I am looking forward to your other pictures.  I have just started gardening since we moved to Washington, so it's alot of trial and error to see what will grow.  So good to see you posting again.

Anonymous said...

Your photo is beautiful.  I have always wanted a garden, I just need to get out there and do it.
Pineapples?  Wow!  I didn't realize how long they take to grow.
http://boiseladie.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

those are gorgeous flowers.  i didn't know that pineapples took that long to bear fruit.  pineapples are yum.  -=)

Anonymous said...

wow that is a beautiful plant and I LOVE yellow . would ove t ohave one but would probably kill it

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you blogging again!  The plumeria are gorgeous!  Do you keep your pineapple plant inside or outside?  I am thinking they'd likely not do well in Kansas winters outside?
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

Vous êtes ici ! Bienvenue. Belle photographie.
Judith

Anonymous said...

Those flowers are gorgeous! And I am not ususally one for yellow flowers.

~Heather

Anonymous said...

The picture is awesome...those flowers are beautiful. I can't wait to see the rest of your garden. NOW..I live in florida so I think Pineapples would do just fine here...I know banana tress do...I will email you my address...would love to try it out...I do not claim to have a green thumb...but I will give it a go.
I have this really interesting Ginger plant...no ginger..it flowers a HUGE flower that is different but it grows fairly fast and big...great plant for corners and such...if you want to exchange that one...let me know
Ellie

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful.  Joe has some white ones growing and he is also doing a pineapple..it is maybe 7" tall right now but has to plump out, so he figures a bird will get it before he does!  Did you move to the Bay area? It's really nice here I just complain sometimes about the heat....Sandi